ArteFill Dermal Filler: Immediate Results. Improvements that Last.
What is ArteFill?
ArteFill is a unique product indicated for dermal filling to soften wrinkles in the central forehead and the folds that occasionally are located between the nose and lips. It also used in an 'off-label' fashion to be placed in other areas of the face. ArteFill is unique among other fillers commonly used today because it is considered semi-permanent. The filler itself is composed of microscopic spheres of a typically non-reactive synthetic substance that is mixed with collagen for easy injection into the areas to be corrected. A skin test for collagen sensitivity is necessary before using the substance since a small number of individuals may have an allergic reaction to the collagen portion of the filler. If the test for sensitivity is negative then the treatment may proceed.
Dr Balogun has used ArteFill to correct nasolabial fold creases and hollowness in the temples, build up cheek bones, and define the lower jaw and chin in a number of patients. It provides a long lasting result for those patients not wanting to undergo frequent and repeated treatment sessions.
Permanent vs. Temporary Dermal Fillers
Most dermal fillers used for correction of facial volume loss and wrinkles today are temporary in their ability to correct loss of volume. Some may last longer than others but in general they are gradually metabolized by the body over months. The benefit of this is that if the patient doesn't really like the correction it will gradually revert back to normal. The temporary injection also allows the patient to feel comfortable with the result before committing to longer lasting or permanent filler. The downside is of course the need for repeated injections to maintain the correction.
With a permanent correction the need for repair injections is reduced or eliminated. However, should there be any problem with the result of the injection or any reaction of the body towards the filler it can prove difficult to correct. Proper injection technique and a provider who has experience can virtually eliminate these risks but even then, a patient desiring a permanent correction needs to weigh the benefits against the potential disadvantages.
Please contact us today to learn more about Artefill® and our skin care treatments. We are ready to help you look your best.
ARTEFILL PRE-PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS
- · If you have a history of Herpes (cold sores) you must be treated 1 day prior and 6 days after treatment with Valtrex 500mg BID (twice a day) or Zovirax 400mg TID (three times a day) to minimize the chance of cold sore flare up.
- · If you develop a cold sore, blemish, or rash, etc. prior to your appointment you must reschedule.
- · If you have a special event or vacation coming up schedule your treatment at least 2-3 weeks in advance.
- · NO Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, or any other essential fatty acids at least 1 week before treatment.
- · Discontinue Retin-A two (2) days before and two (2) days after treatment.
- · AVOID: Alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates (you may eat fruit), spicy foods, and cigarettes 24-48 hours before and after your treatment.
ARTEFILL POST-PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS
- · Do NOT, touch, press, rub, or manipulate the implanted areas for 6 hours after treatment. You can cause irritation, sores, and/or problems, and possible scarring if you do.
- · AVOID: Alcohol, minimize caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates (you may eat fruit), spicy foods, and cigarettes 24-48 hours after your treatment
- · Avoid Vigorous Exercise and Sun and Heat exposure for 2-3 days after treatment.
- · Discontinue Retin-A two (2) days before treatment. It is best to wear no makeup or lipstick until the next day. Earlier use can cause pustules.
- · One side may heal faster than other side.
- · You must wait 2 weeks before retreating or correction.
WHO SHOULD NOT USE ARTEFILL (CONTRAINDICATIONS)?
Do not use ArteFill in patients with:
• a positive reaction to the ArteFill allergy skin test
• a history of severe allergies, hypersensitivity, or anaphylaxis
• an allergy to the anesthetic (lidocaine) in ArteFill
• a history of allergies to any bovine collagen product
• a tendency for thick scar formation (hypertrophic scars) and/or excessive scar formations (keloid scars)
• current or planned desensitization injections to meat products
SkinMD Laser and Aesthetic Medical Clinic
T: (206) 525-0903